Monday, June 4, 2018

So Blessed and So Grateful!


Short Version:
Another great week here at the Cove. We were able to go on a trek last Friday. It was a small ward from Utah with about 50 people. We had a wonderful time and the spirit was very strong. We came home sore and tired but spiritually uplifted. I am ever so thankful for the Pioneers and their faithful sacrifices.

On the FM things have slowed down some since treks have begun. This can be good and bad. We now have to mow our lawns in between treks or when we have enough people and the stars line up. I am enjoying serving in this capacity. When I first received this assignment I was wondering if I would have as many spiritual experiences as I did last year. But every day working with these wonderful missionaries gives me a new insight of how much the Lord blesses us all. We have so many people with diverse talents and backgrounds it can be interesting to try and figure out assignments and how to pair people up. But the thing we all have in common is the gospel and our love for our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Also this week I get to celebrate my 36th wedding anniversary with my wonderful wife. If any of you have the capability to serve a mission with your wife don’t let this opportunity pass you by. It is a wonderful thing to share together as a senior couple.

Well we are driving to Casper right now to pick up things we need for upcoming projects, a dishwasher, some prairie dog poison, plumbing supplies, electrical supplies and I think we’ll go to Olive Garden for our anniversary lunch. Hope all are doing well. I challenge you all to look around and see the Lord’s tender mercies in your life.
Elder Sigmon


Longer Version:
I have to start with being so thankful and grateful for my wonderful companion for the last 36 years. It actually would be almost 37 if you count the 11 months we dated before being married. As I look back on our time together and the memories I just have to smile. We have 3 wonderful boys who have grown up into wonderful husbands and some are also wonderful fathers. For those of you who know my boys I’m not saying some aren’t wonderful fathers, one just isn’t at the moment lol. But I’m have no doubt he will be just as wonderful as his brothers! We have created many memories we can all look back on, smile and laugh about. Our family has grown and we have been so blessed. Elder Sigmon and I fit together like puzzle pieces. Together we make a good whole. I feel as long as we have each other there isn’t anything we can’t handle or do. It may not always be easy but we have each other’s back and we are there for each other through the good and the bad. I love when he makes me smile or laugh. I love his tender and compassionate heart. He is my rock! Sorry I got mushy but it has been a wonderful 36 years and I am looking forward to more years and adventures together!

Here is a picture of a Green Apple Fizz from Olive Garden. We were able to eat lunch there for our anniversary. It actually had some cotton candy on it. I LOVE cotton candy!!!! I didn’t know it had cotton candy on it.
Moving on….I know I have said this before BUT…the weather here can be so CRAZY! Last week Saturday it was a beautiful 80ᴼ weather. Then the next day Sunday it begins to rain like crazy along with a bunch of hail. It didn’t hail for just 10 minutes no—a few of us were stuck in the barn waiting for it to let up for almost an hour! It went from pea size to grape size to pea size! Then it cleared up and the sun somewhat came out and you would have had no idea what had just happened if it wasn’t for the evidence it left behind.
What we call the bone yard was a small lake. Also when we get a quick heavy rain we have noticed we get some waterfalls in the granite rocks near the Cove. There were several of them flowing quite heavily. It actually was quite beautiful to see.
 The funny thing was when Sister Taylor brought us the white board which is outside on the Campground Host cabin. This is where we write a welcome to the Treks coming in for the day and where they are to set up their campground. Well unfortunately this white board was exposed to the weather and in the wrong spot. It took the full force of all that rain and hail and this is what was left of that white board. I think it is officially dead! L This will be another item we purchase today.


One of things I needed to do as helper to Elder Sigmon was to purchase the hanging baskets to go around the Visitors’ center and a few other places. We are also trying to simplify the work which will go into keeping the grounds looking beautiful. Sister Hysell is the person we put in charge of the grounds and landscaping. She lives in Wyoming, loves gardening and is very familiar with what works well and what does not. So she is our go to girl on all of this. She has been working hard with help and has got things looking good. There is a big flower bed in front of the Visitors’ Center with a handcart in it. It is pretty to look at from a distance because it looked green and full. The problem is when you get up closer a lot of it was clover and weeds. She and I decided to start trying to pull out the weeds and see what we had left when it was all said and done. When it was first started there was a lot of dirt. Some were a little alarmed and worried. But after talking together we decided to carry on and we could add some things which would not be weeds, and stay in their own locations and also just leave some space and dirt for definition. The other planters were looking good this way so why not give it try there also. After everything was out people were really liking how it was starting to look. We bought some plants to add there also.

Just to acquire the plants was 2 trips into Casper over 2 days and 4 of us each time. It wasn’t like just running to Home Depot at home (around the corner). The day before we had all the other plants going into the barrels, planters and flower beds. Here is the 2nd day-- the truck loaded with the 21 Hanging baskets and some top soil.
Here is a picture of Elder and Sister Hysell clearing out the weeds in this flower bed.
Here is a picture of the Visitors’ Center and all the hanging baskets.
 Here are what we picked out for by the Museum and Sewing Center


Here are the planters.


The next picture is of the Visitors’ Center flower bed. Don’t they all look so nice?


I want to share with you some of the many tender mercies we have experienced. We have found the Lord’s hand in both the temporal and spiritual aspects of our lives.

About a month ago I went into Casper to take in some paperwork. While I was at the FM office the mechanic was there and they had bought a new truck they wanted to replace our FM truck with. So I left with a Ford truck and came home with a Chevy. When I got back I gave Elder Sigmon the keys and he kept turning them over in his hand looking at them and I could tell he was confused so I said “They made me give them a perfectly good Ford for a Chevy.” It is true! This Chevy has a shell with boxes on the side and a rack on top. As Elder Sigmon was going through it and opening compartments he found a gas detector in it. He was all excited. The Smarts were here with us last year and stayed through the winter. They had been complaining about a smell in their apartment since the end of last year when we left. Sister Smart had mentioned the smell is better but she still thinks there might be a gas leak in the laundry area. So when Elder Sigmon saw this he said “I’m going to go and check that out and see if there is a leak or not.” When he got some time he did in fact check and there was a leak. He was able to get it fixed and there is no longer a smell!

The funny side of the story is that when we ate lunch that afternoon I could see that the clip that holds Elder Sigmon’s badge was still on his shirt but his magnetic badge was nowhere to be seen. So I asked him where his badge was. He figured it must have come off while he was working around the dryer at the Smarts. So we went back to back track and look for his badge. Elder Sigmon was busy looking behind when I spotted it. It wasn’t behind it. But I do have to say they have a pretty strong magnet!


Then later that day I was working in the office and Sister Erekson was weeding outside the office when she had me come out there. She said “I can smell gas and I have a pretty good smeller.” So I called Elder Sigmon on the radio to come and bring his gas detector with him. He shows up and checks out where she was working and nothing was registering so he said he would go around a little bit and sure enough about 8’ down the side there was a gas pipe poking up and it was going off! There was a leak! Sister Erekson just decided to help Sister Hysell do some weeding right there in that spot, smells gas and then Elder Sigmon detects it and now it is fixed! No coincidence!

This next experience I am going to share I know some will think “this is a blessing?” But I truly do believe it is.

I talk to my mom every day just to touch base and check in on her and see how she is doing. Over this last week some things discussed in our conversations left me scratching my head trying to figure out what was going on. Things which she would normally do wasn’t happening and it wasn’t making sense to me. Then I found out on Thursday mom was using a walker because she had a sprained ankle or a stubbed toe, depending on which version. Apparently she was trying to keep everyone under sworn secrecy not to tell me so I wouldn’t worry. Then Friday everything started to come to light when I got a text from my son that he was meeting my mom at the hospital because she had fallen. It turns out she had fallen 2 weeks ago Monday. After the x-ray and MRI we found out she had a stable fracture in her pelvic area. This means she is able to walk and move around and doesn’t need surgery to put her back together to be able to walk and move around. She is just going to need some time to heal and mend. This is a miracle! It is amazing it was not worse and that she is able to still move and walk around. I know it is probably painful but what a blessing! I am also blessed in the fact she is loved by so many. My niece has come out and is spending the week with her to help her out. So many have leant a helping hand for which I am truly grateful. I am sure my mom is too. Thank you!

The Lord is in the details of our lives and he has so much to offer to us if we will let him. He loves us and wants us to be happy. Because of His sacrifice and love I can be lifted and strengthened. I can do hard things and be blessed for it. Because of Him I can be a better person. I can live a better life. I can find joy even in hard things.

As Elder Sigmon said we had our first trek on Friday. This group had a wonderful Bishop and you could feel his love for each and every one of them. When we got to the Lower Amphitheater he talked to them there. The spirit was so strong. One of the things he said was “Who can we bless and lift up as the Lord has lifted us up.” I challenge you to think about that and see if you can be that light or lift to someone in your life or you come in contact with.

We love you all and we hope you are all doing well.
Sister Sigmon

No comments:

Post a Comment