Sunday, May 27, 2018

Rescue, Visitors, Work & Fun

Short Version:
Well we have been here two months. We have been very busy! I think last month we started to mow our lawns, pick up cow pies, clean campgrounds and I think we painted every bench and railing in the Cove and anything else that takes BLM brown. This week we had to put in a new pump in a well although I’m still not happy with the way it works. It’s still pretty sandy and I need to get more air in the pressure tank.
L-R: Elder Ward, Bowden and Sigmon

We finally have all the missionaries here that will be assigned to Martin’s Cove. Some days I have 15 couples that I assign jobs to. But after trekking starts this weekend that average will go down to 3-4 couples a day. On a real busy trekking day maybe none. I think back when I was in the Bishopric and was over our chapel building which really only consisted of a plugged up toilet, a hornets nest in the ceiling light or someone lost their keys. I thought wow this is keeping me busy. Little did I know I would be taking care of up to 20 building, 5 acres of lawn and miles of trail, plus all the vehicles, equipment, and all the facilities like water, sewer and electricity but I absolutely love it. I see the Lord’s hand in many of the temporal duties. I am reminded every day that he knows who I am and is aware of my needs. I would not be able to do this without my wonderful wife beside me. She has such a great personality. I once said I wish I had a business where I could work with my wife every day and now I’m doing the Lord’s business with my wife beside me every day. I love you all and am so thankful for your love and support.
Elder Sigmon

Longer Version:
There has been a lot happening. One Sunday we were working at the Visitors’ Center and we both saw this black cat walking by the Sewing Center. I thought to myself, self I wonder if one of the ranchers has a black cat that hangs out around here now. I didn’t see one like it at all last year and we have been gone for 6 months before coming back so we aren’t familiar with the animals hanging around now. Elder Sigmon also saw it but we didn’t talk to each other about it. The next morning there was an announcement over the radio that a family lost their cat while they were at the Visitors’ Center yesterday and its name is “Batman.” Both Elder Sigmon and I looked at each other and I said “I saw that cat. I wondered if it was a rancher’s cat.” And he said “I wondered it if it was someone’s cat and I hope it wasn’t coyote meat.” We both headed off to Correlation and then after the meeting everyone went off to do their various assignments. I went off to the office and Elder Sigmon and Elder Bowden were off to do something but on their way they found Batman. Sister Bowden called the owner and they were so happy Batman was found and alive. They had prepared themselves for the worst and were relieved it wasn’t the case. It was going to be a 5 hour drive to retrieve Batman.

It was decided to keep Batman in Sister Bowden’s laundry room area which is between the back office where we were and her apartment. Sister Pace is allergic to cats and Sister Bowden isn’t a cat fan so I was the one who got to interact with it. Elder Bowden seemed to be more of a cat fan and would talk to it and even hung out with Batman a bit. Now Sister Bowden is one of the most prepared people I have ever known. She had canned tuna so she could give it some food and a small metal tin to put water in. Believe it or not she even had cat litter. The cat litter was in case they got stuck in the snow while driving. Needless to say I was very impressed. We didn’t have to use any cat litter.

This was the coolest cat ever!!! It was nice to go in and check on Batman periodically throughout the day. It’s favorite place to hang out was on top of this cabinet which was very high up. All I had to do was go in and reach up. It loved to be petted and slid forward until eventually it was in my arms, snuggling and purring. At one point I think some thought I didn’t remember Batman wasn’t mine. But I did remember but it was so fun to have a black furry animal to pet and hold for a bit. Batman’s family did show up and they were all reunited. I’m glad it was a happy ending.
Okay now I have to tell you a funny story. We were shopping for groceries and I mentioned to Elder Sigmon that I would like a few little bananas. Sometimes it is nice to have a banana sandwich for breakfast. We do it every now and then so I didn’t think any more about it and Elder Sigmon was getting some of the produce on the list while I was busy getting other items we needed for the week. Then at one point I looked down in the cart and I see these bananas. I had to take a double take and pull them out to look at them. Elder Sigmon sees me and says “What?” and I say “What are these?” He responds with “Well you said you wanted some little bananas so I got them.” Yes these are little bananas. I put the package of oatmeal so you can have some perspective on the actual size of these bananas. If you know my boys then you now know where they get their little antics from. It isn’t me! I never knew there was such a thing as a mini banana! Apparently there is.
 
Here I am in the back office working with Sister Ward on the weekly scheduling for the missionaries. It is an interesting process. We have a magnet board we set up in the gathering room. It has magnets with all the missionaries names and then all the jobs which we need for each particular week. Then we have to make sure it is fair in rotation of who does the jobs. We can’t decide Elder Sigmon gets RRA (cleaning the toilets) every day because we don’t want to do it. lol The same goes for leading the music in correlation, playing the piano, etc. Even Visitors’ Center we keep track of who had the early shift or the late shift. Who worked a Sunday, etc. It is definitely a puzzle each week.
As you know the Crists have left and so it was decided we should move from Missionary Village (10 miles away) to the Homestead. This way we could be on site and see to taking care of the facilities a little more effectively. We loved being over at missionary village and the small town feel. It was nice to look out the window and see the people walking about, returning home after their day, stopping and visiting or running over to a neighbors to visit because Elder Sigmon was being boring and taking a nap. lol

They each have their pros and cons. It is nice to be right here and not have to drive over every morning but I also don’t have that drive time to give my mom a quick call every morning. Sometimes she doesn’t get a call until the evening. The view from every window is beautiful! These pictures were taken our first morning there from our bedroom window in our new place.
That is the Trek Center and around that rock in the background is Martin’s Cove. The Trek Center is where the kids will begin their trek by watching a video and then taking their handcarts out and down the trail to Martin’s Cove after they cross a small creek called Pete’s Creek. The orange thing is a wind sock. It is amazing I have a picture of it in this position. It is a rare occasion. No wind! The white thing to the left is a teepee.



This next picture is just looking the other direction to the left from the same window. There are some picnic tables there where the school groups might eat their lunch. Just beyond that is Fort Seminoe and what we call Outfitting. This will be a hustling, bustling place in another week. This is where the Trekkers will come in, get their handcarts, get organized by families and learn a little bit of what happened here at Fort Seminoe before heading off to the Trek Center to begin their trek. Our First trek will happen on the 31st of this month. Elder Sigmon and I will take out our first trek on Friday, June 1st.

The road to the right is the road which is called the Sun road will lead you out to Cherry Creek campground where the kids will stay if they spend the night here.
 Here is the front of the Triplex. The Sun Ranch road is right in front there.
I have drawn signs to where each couple lives in the building. Under us is the Gathering Room. This is where the special visitors will stay when they come to visit such as a General Authority or an Area Seventy.

Sister Erekson is in charge of having fun activities for the missionaries and so there was an activity planned for Cinco de Mayo. It ended up being cancelled because it was the eve of Fast Sunday and we were going to have a dinner. For those of you who do not know what Fast Sunday is I will explain. It is usually the first Sunday of the month and we are asked to Fast for 2 meals and the money those 2 meals would cost we donate as Fast Offerings. These Fast Offerings are used
to help those in need. Most people begin with their evening meal for Fast Sunday.
As such Cinco de Mayo was changed to 10 de Mayo. We decided we could have twice the fun. Well Sister Erekson and Sister Ward got to talking and decided a piñata would be a fun addition to the party. To their benefit it happened to work out that Elder Sigmon and 2 other missionaries were in Casper for Mosquito spraying training and Fog machine calibration. So it was my  good fortune to text Elder Sigmon to give me a call so I could ask him to stop by Party America on the way home and buy a suitable piñata and something to go inside it. When he repeated “you want me to go to Party America and buy a piñata?” I could hear a little roar of laughter over the phone from his companions. The next statement was “You know that is all the way on the opposite side of town, right?” Poor guys, they were ready to come back home and now they were waylaid.

I do have to report Sister Erekson and a few others created quite the wonderful atmosphere.

And Elder Ward created quite the most ingenious rig to move and dangle the piñata from. The funny thing was they did not use any blind fold and so Sister Pace was the first one to hit the piñata and start the flow of goodies and then it was Sister Peterson’s turn and let me tell you that women went to town on that piñata and it didn’t stand a chance! 


Here is a picture of the piñata. Sister Erekson modified it by drawing on it since there were no Chilis or Cinco de Mayo appropriate piñatas to pick from.
Here is Sister Peterson hitting the jackpot! I can’t believe I actually got the picture timed just right to see the candy spilling out of it. But there it is!

The very next day we had some special guests arrive from Montana for a visit.

The Scussels! Jeff isn’t in the picture because he’s taking the picture. lol But it was really good to see them again and spend time with them. They were able to go out the next day trekking when Sixth Crossing came over so that was fun for them and for us to have them here with us. She brought me some of my favorite flowers that seem to last forever. So they were added to the can that Sister Crist had left me with some beautiful pink flowers. So my can is fuller and I love it!
This next picture is a small snippet of what some of our day entails. Elder Sigmon being called to investigate how something currently works and is there something we can do about it. In this situation the center TV does not turn on when the switch is flipped with the other TV’s. You have to use another remote control to turn it on but you have to come and stand directly in front of it for it to work. We were also in the process of repainting the Trek Center floor so all the chairs are stacked in front of the TV on the stand. They trying to assess the situation (Elder and Sister Ward along with Elder Sigmon) Elder Sigmon was actually laying across the chairs on his stomach but by the time I got my phone out to take a picture he had moved and came in from the side. You can see the chair in the front leaning more than the others. That is where he had started and was laying across to the front from there. It would have made a much better picture but I was nice and didn’t make him recreate it for me. J
For Mother’s Day the men lined the sidewalk to the barn so after Relief Society they were there with a rose for us. It was quite a nice surprise.

My little can of flowers just keeps growing.

Last year we remember having to have the cow pies picked up in the campground to get it ready for the kids who would be staying in them. It is just part of having an active cattle ranch and it wasn’t terrible. There were just areas here and there which needed to be addressed. The cowboy has a system of how he runs the cows to keep the grass in good condition and the cattle fed. They usually don’t stay in one place for very long.

One of the things we did was drive by Cherry Creek campground on our way in this year. I do have to say it was quite the sight to see. I think the cows had a party in there! I had not seen so many cow pies. I wasn’t sure how we would be able to get the campground ready with just the missionaries trying to pick them up. We would be there all summer and maybe get ½ of it done! It was finally decided maybe the Cowboy and his wife could bring their tractor and harrow it. We aren’t sure how long they spent working on it but when we went by later and took a look it was night and day! They weren’t able to get into some places and so we would need to take care of the rest but compared to what it was….this was doable! We were very grateful!

The funny thing is now with this new system of how we do work crew and our tickets of assignments we have to report how many people and how many hours it took to the Casper FM guy. Of course it isn’t something we got done in a day and it took a bit to get it all done and I send a cc of the file to FM guy in Casper. I think one week we had 52 hours. The FM guy emailed me and asked how we could minimize the cow pies so we didn’t have to spend so much time cleaning them up. So now maybe we can get something set up that will minimize the cow’s access to inside the campground and will be beneficial on having fewer cow pies to clean up every summer. Here is a picture of the pretty green grass with NO cow pies! It looks so beautiful! I should have taken a before picture for you.

On this Friday I was working in the office with Sister Bowden and it isn’t unusual for Elder Sigmon to come find me with a question or looking for help. So he walked in the door but the first thing I noticed was a bandage on his hand. With all that he does I was concerned because usually a bandage means it isn’t good. Well it turns out he was getting a chain to help secure some landscape timbers we were going to return and he sliced his hand. When he grabbed it there was a sharp barb on it and it cut his hand. I was going to have Sister Bowden (who is a nurse) look at it to see if it needed stitches but he informed me that Sister Gilliland (who also is a nurse) helped bandage it up and together they decided it didn’t need stitches.

Later that day we went back to Sister Bowden’s office and unbandaged it to see how it was looking and decided to super glue it. It wasn’t in the best of places since it was right across his palm and so he had to be careful every time he tried to open or close his hand but it actually did quite well and I don’t think he will have much of a scar from it. That super glue works pretty well too.

Elder Sigmon tried to find the barb to file it off so it wouldn’t happen to someone else but he couldn’t find it again. The crazy thing was he had the prompting to take his gloves with him this morning. He did follow the prompting and put them in the truck. The only problem was he forgot to put them on his hands while working.
 
I do have to say we see tender mercies every day in all that we do both temporally and spiritually and I love it. I love being here and serving with such wonderful people who have set aside their daily lives and have come to serve the Lord for 6 months. Everyone is just like us. They have left family, animals and responsibilities behind to serve. I feel so blessed to be in such a special place where others have walked before and have had such faith, obedience, charity and sacrificed to have the blessings of being an eternal family. It was what was important to them and they were willing to do whatever it took to have those blessings in their lives. I often think of how blessed I am and how I don’t want to take it for granted. But also what am I willing to sacrifice to have the Lord and his blessings in my life? It is easy to get complacent and into a routine and I want to be more aware of those daily blessings and do those things which are asked of me willingly and with a happy heart.

I enjoy talking with Elder Sigmon and finding out how his day went and what projects he watched get done. Sometimes there are a few jobs he would like to see how they turned out or some things he needs to go investigate before assigning them the next day. That’s when I say “Shall we go for a ride?” and off we go on the rover side by side in this beautiful country. It doesn’t get any better than this!

Here is one of the many tender mercies. These are the landscape timbers we had to return after buying them 1 ½ years ago for an Eagle project which did not come to fruition. There were 376 of them and we were pretty sure we might get maybe 50% of what we paid for them in store credit. When we got to Mennards to take care of it they were so wonderful to work with. First we had to count them and then go to the back. When we got there we stopped someone to ask where we should go and the gentleman we talked to said “oh some of these aren’t very green anymore.” We had to agree and he was in the process of saying he needed to go get someone when he looked at me and said “Did I talk to you about this on the phone not too long ago?” I answered yes because I knew Elder Crist had called about it. So he did not have to go get any one he just took care of it himself. What are the chances of dealing with the person who already knew and explained how to return them? Not coincidence. Then how they were loaded was not the best trying to get a fork lift in there to unload them. Elder Sigmon did apologize saying he didn’t do them any favors the way it was loaded. The guy again said “If this is the worst thing we have to deal with today…it is a great day.” He was so kind. To get the back bundle off it actually took 3 fork lifts to do it. Another coincidence. They called their most experienced fork lift guy over to asses it and he decided he wanted a particular other person to help and radioed him. He said he was with a customer. In the meantime another girl showed up and then that guy he radioed showed up. It wasn’t even 5 minutes of waiting and we had 3 fork lifts right there working it. The girl was at the back and lifted the bundle then the other two fork lifts came in from each side and put their forks under it and lifted it up until it was high enough for Elder Sigmon to pull the truck out from under it. Here is how the last two bundles were taken off and they all stayed together and came off quickly and a lot easier than we all thought.

Last but not least when we went back in to get the paperwork on how much credit we would be getting….they gave us full price for every one of them in store credit. We couldn’t believe it! God is good!

We are so grateful to all of our family and friends and those who make it possible for us to be here and serve! Thank you for all you do and it does not go unnoticed. The same goes for all those who are serving with us in this mission. There is always a smile and willingness to do what is asked of them and things get done.

We love you,
Sister Sigmon


No comments:

Post a Comment